Nothing beats a beautiful bedroom to come home to in the evening to relax and unwind. Personally I love a bedroom that isn’t overstyled and still has room for books, candles, and photographs – things that I love. Bedrooms are also rooms where you can take a few risks as they are not always on display for visitors. However they should be rooms you love spending time in and it’s easy to get overwhelmed with all the different furniture, bedding and accessories now available. So here’s my tips for creating a beautiful bedroom:
1. Keep it simple – regardless of the colour or style you are after – purchase quality big items like the bed or an occasional armchair in neutral tones so that you can change the look of your bedroom more easily as trends or your tastes change
2. Don’t forget a bedhead – you will be amazed at how much such a simple item can really make a bedroom look complete – a bedhead doesn’t have to be expensive – search the web for easy DIY bedheads if you can’t afford to purchase a ready made one
3. Avoid having everything match – you can have different bedside tables, different lamps and the bed doesn’t have to be in the same style or material as the furniture. Variety is a good thing, what’s important is getting the scale and tone right so that the room looks like it goes together!
4. Lighting is key – choose low key mood lighting for bedtime as well as having sufficient light for tasks such as putting on makeup. On trend at the moment is hanging pendants over the bedside rather than using table lamps and this frees up lots of space for other things
5. Textiles – Choose bedding, sheer curtains (as well as blockout blinds or shutters), and furnishings that you love – nothing beats good quality sheets and pillows
6. Add colour and texture – in artwork, rugs and cushions but don’t overload the bed with cushions – a maximum of three layers works best
If you have a specific question or would like something a little more customised – drop us a line – I’d love to hear from you!